Re: Recent m4 CVS changes

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Recent m4 CVS changes
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:04:05 +0100

Hi Ted,

Ted Stern wrote:
In about May of 2002, I forwarded to Gary some information about the M5
project, some code developed by a now-deceased CS professor, Dain Samples,
about a decade ago (pre GNU m4).

I notice in recent GNU m4 CVS ChangeLog entries that there has been a flurry
of feature addition in June and July.  Some of it is reminiscent of the M5
stuff I forwarded.  I was curious whether it was something that you all had
been developing independently or whether you were inspired by the ideas in the
M5 document -- I'd like to hope so!

Absolutely. There are some excellent ideas in Prof. Samples papers which definitely improve upon the usability of M4. My current plans are to get a new release out the door as soon as possible, and then look at enhancing the core of GNU m4 as necessary to support a loadable M5 module that implements as much as practicable of M5.

In any case, if you haven't done so already, it might be nice to add an
acknowledgement of Dain Samples' influence.  Especially since the only other
references to M5 that I turned up were in some Microsoft Research papers (who
knows what else they do with it?  They certainly don't tell anybody when
they're stealing ideas) -- with the recent SCO brouhaha, it couldn't hurt to
establish a tie to pre-existing public domain code.

I haven't added any acknowledgements, but will be certain to do so well in advance of any release that uses Prof. Sample's work.

Ted

Cheers,
        Gary.
--