m17n-list

[m17n-list] Modifier Keys for fcitx-m17n?

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: [m17n-list] Modifier Keys for fcitx-m17n?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 21:18:56 +0000

I have a Tai Tham keyboard mapping which works well with on Windows 7.
It uses two modifier keys - shift and AltGr.  I have defined it using
MSKLC.  It maps basic key plus modifier to characters or to sequences
which some may think of as characters - 'ligatures' in the terminology
used by Microsoft.

However, I prefer working on Ubuntu to working on Windows.  I had
translated the keyboard to X11 xkbd on one hand to Emacs and ibus-kmfl
on the other. In both cases I had to compromise.  The X11 mapping does
not support ligatures.  The Emacs and ibus-kmfl mappings do not support
ligatures - I had to replace AltGr- combinations by a sequence of
independent keystrokes.

Since abandoning Ubuntu Precise 12.04 for a later version, ibus has
worked badly.  It does not understand that I want different keyboard
mappings for different windows - ASCII or an extension for emacs and
the terminal window (in Emacs I find it easier to have an ASCII keyboard
and rely on quail for other scripts) and Tai Tham for LibreOffice.  To
add insult, its daemon soon quits.

This weekend, I tried out fcitx-m17n.  My fcitx-m17n keyboard works as
well as my Emacs keyboard does and my ibus-kmfl keyboard did on Precise.

However, M17N seems to offer even better.  It has the formalism to
support modifier keys, so I optimistically expect it to support AltGr.
Is it possible to get AltGr to work with fcitx-m17n?  My attempts have
failed.

My default keyboard, because I have now acquired a physical Thai
keyboard, is now a US keyboard.  It is possible that the system
keyboard is still a British keyboard (en-UK).  Both keyboards bind the
Alt_R key to "mod5", if xmodmap -pm is to be trusted, and X passes the
Input Method a state value 0x0080 if it is the only modifier pressed.

Richard.