m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] m17n Based Keyboard Layout for Bengali

From: Runa Bhattacharjee
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] m17n Based Keyboard Layout for Bengali
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 19:01:31 +0530

On মঙ্গলবার 19 জুন 2012 01:40 অপরাহ্ণ, Sayak Sarkar wrote:

2. While doing the mapping and classification of various Bengali characters
using Utf-8 mapping, I couldn't quite find the Hex code for the character
Khanda-ta - ৎ, it maybe because it has been newly defined or so, but since
the character is already present in the Probhat layout I gather that it must
have a Hex code in UTF-8. Could please let me know the Hex code for the
same?

Khanda-ta is on U+09CE in the Bengali and Assamese code chart (U0980 series).
Please use the Unicode charts available at the following link for reference:

http://www.unicode.org/charts/

3. Similar to the above point there are some Bengali characters like Nukta
(Unicode Hex 09BC) and Ishhar (Unicode Hex 09FA) that I cannot find in the
present Probhat layout. How should I go about implementing these characters?
Or should I just skip them.

Nukta and Ishhar/Ishwar are infrequently used symbols and hence not generally
present in the major 1-1 keymaps like Probhat where the number of available
keys is limited. However the nukta symbol is present on the Inscript keymap.

hth
Runa

--
blog: http://arrbee.wordpress.com