lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] non-breaking space breaks justification

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] non-breaking space breaks justification
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 20:25:48 +0000 (UTC)

Ian Collier dixit:

>What's awful about that is you've formatted it for more than 80 columns...

That’s because I read my fanfiction in a 90×35 uxterm (minus
one line for GNU screen hardstatus), which is the widest that
is readable for me without losing the lines upon going to the
next one.

What’s r̲e̲a̲l̲l̲y̲ awful is that you don’t break your lines at 72c
for eMail.

>If you use "lynx -justify" (why would anyone use that?) then it seems there

Of course I use justification. It makes text easier to read
and nicer to look at.

>of the right length, and (2) add extra spaces to justify the right margin.
>The first of these things happens the same, regardless; the second appears
>to be omitted for any resulting line that contains U+00A0.
>
>I'd say that it just shouldn't be omitted

That’s one of the two modes I was proposing.

>I can't think of any reason why that would be useful.

I was thinking about this for a while. I don’t want existing
users’ stuff to break, and since we need *another* mode anyway
why not make it a three-way toggle. (We can then argue about
the default, whether it should be traditional or one of the
new ones. I’d go for making the one that doesn’t omit the right
margin justification for those lines the default, personally.)

>  (I'm assuming here that anything within <pre>
>tags is not justified

Yes, of course.

>, and if you write ascii art without putting it
>within <pre> tags then you deserve what you get.)

That’s certainly a way to look at things, but the same goes for
those idiots who use U+00A0 for extra inter-word spacing. The
problem here is that the people who *use* lynx are usually not
those who write the pages.

>The rest of your message would have been clearer if you hadn't
>confused "justify" with "indent".

I don’t really; justification is what lynx does and indent is
what the fanfiction author did.

>  However, making allowances for
>people who randomly (and perhaps mistakenly) add U+00A0 to add extra
>space between words isn't really Lynx's job.  The extra space should
>stay as the author intended (or didn't intend, whatever).

That’s, again, certainly a way to look at this. However, lynx users
suffer enough already, and this is a cheap way to make their lifes
easier. This is even an a11y problem, and one could return with an
argument that the whole *point* of webbrowsers is to work around bad
webpages. (I have a couple of LSS additions for this, too.)

bye,
//mirabilos, who’s down with a cold and not up to patching right now
--
Yes, I hate users and I want them to suffer.
        -- Marco d'Itri on gmane.linux.debian.devel.general