lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] What blanks the blank spaces at the beginning of a line?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] What blanks the blank spaces at the beginning of a line?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 06:41:14 -0400

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 07:06:29PM -0600, address@hidden wrote:

>       Quoth Paul Gilmartin, 'Context?  Example?  Is this in HTML?
> Is it between <PRE> ... <PRE> tags?'
>       The beginning of a line before the display of characters, the
> indentation of paragraphs (or whatever) , the left side of centered
> lines, pretty much any reason to leave the beginning characters of a
> line blank.  In HTML.  Beginning with kernel 4.19 (but the same lynx!)
> when the screen changes blank space at the beginning of a line
> inherits what was previously on the screen.
>       It doesn't happen in X.  Oddly it *does* happen in blank
> characters in the middle of a line *when* that space on the screen was
> previously occupied by a colored character (such as I use lynx.lss to
> make bold, italics, links...)

Lynx puts blanks at the beginning of each line (except headers, etc)
as part of its built-in style.  curses (or whatever) renders that,
but if your terminal description is inconsistent with the terminal,
curses will be confused and not repaint parts of the screen.

...if the problem appears in some distribution (versus a self-built
kernel), others can comment on the issue

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net