lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and https,

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and https,
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:12:15 +0100

On 23/10/17 14:42, address@hidden wrote:
        Hmmmm...  When I access a website that insists on https with
http lynx tries http then, if that fails, silently tries https; I can
see the evidence in the log.  I notice the problem when I use snarf,
which doesn't support https: many sites still support http and honor
the access, others don't and snarf fails; if I use 'lynx -source'
instead it works (usually - on some sites it doesn't).
        How's HSTS different?

I think the difference is that, in your case, the request http receives a redirect to the https URI, but with HSTS, the http request would never be made and the browser would start with https.