lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Wrapping line behavior

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Wrapping line behavior
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 20:37:55 -0500

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 10:46:49AM -0800, address@hidden wrote:
> >> For the unconditional wrapping - I suppose it's possible that lynx is
> >> confused about the width of the terminal.  If it were only kterm (and
> >> not also the Windows port), I'd check if you have disabled the auto-wrap
> >> feature (which kterm, being based on xterm, I think would apply).
> >
> > It doesn't depend on the terminal, I got the same results with kterm, xterm
> > and gnome-terminal.
> > I think lynx isn't confused about the width of the terminal because long
> > line consist of plural words is wrapped as expected.
> > The problem occurs with long line consist of single word.

Perhaps (your change actually shows differently when I test it).
But I want to be able to reproduce the problem:

a) the dev.10 patch did not affect widths except in
   (which does not appear to be related to your test-case):

        * add a limit-check in case colspan is given as zero for
non-nested-table case
          (report by Sami Liedes) -TD

b) testing dev.9 with slang, I don't see a difference vs dev.10

c) Your suggested change modifies (undoes) an older chunk of code dating
   from early 2012.  Here's my change note for that:

        REV:1.219               GridText.c          2012/02/05 18:55:54
tom

           modify comparison in split_line for 'actual' to take into account a
special
           case in my faq's, where I use data generated by atr2html (using
&nbsp's).
           Those lines contain no blanks, but even when I have curses-pads in
effect,
           then lynx was wrapping them.  I noticed that text->permissible_split
had
           the right semantics to detect this, and used that to amend the
comparison
           so that the first chunk of the comparison is ignored.

    In CHANGES, that's

        2012-02-12 (2.8.8dev.10)
        * modify comparison for splitting lines to allow for long preformatted
lines,
          e.g., using  's to not wrap when the line-wrap mode is disabled
-TD

So... it would be nice to have a copy of these files from your configure
and build:

a) config.log

b) config.status

c) config.cache

as well as knowing what X resources you are using for kterm (as well as
the $TERM value -- which should be "kterm", not "xterm", since the latter
uses several features _not_ in kterm's repertoire).

I'm interested in seeing how the "dev.10" screenshots were done using the
same environment but without having the terminal wrap.