lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Google language tools no longer works in lynx

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Google language tools no longer works in lynx
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:10:29 +0000

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 07:45:49AM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
>       It works in Firefox for me without JavaScript and with
> NoScript enabled.

Then what's the trick, because when I press the Translate button
after turning JavaScript off in Firefox I get 403, same as in Lynx.

> The error reported in lynx isn't the kind of error
> I get when scripts are necessary: it's a permissions error.

If you press the Translate button with scripts enabled then the
script handles the event.  Otherwise it posts the content to
https://translate.google.com/ which is the wrong thing to do.
Google doesn't care about fixing this because they expect you
to visit the site with scripts enabled.

For some reason they have configured their web site to return 403
if you try to POST to it, and that's what the button does if the
scripts aren't active.  (It may be that they used to handle this
by sending you the translated version of the text - but they don't
any more.)

imc