lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Fix links containing divs

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Fix links containing divs
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:56:15 +0000

On 12/12/16 16:24, Samuel Thibault wrote:

This wasn't HTML. I'm not sure whether it is now HTML3, and, if not, I'd need to carefully read the spec to find out the correct error recovery.

It really should be:

<a class="foo" href=..>Debian</a>

however, if you want another element, div should be span, as links are inline, but div is block.

My guess is that lynx does error recovery based on seeing a block element where inline is expected, and closes the, inline, a at that point. However, one of the features of HTML3 is that the error recovery is defined by the specification, so this will have a defined behaviour, even if it is invalid. I doubt that Lynx is HTML3 compliant in this regard.