lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] EXTERNAL with lynx

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: [Lynx-dev] EXTERNAL with lynx
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 10:09:19 -0400 (EDT)

I tried using EXTERNAL to play streams from vlc on a Linux platform. That failed since the URL field would need to have a suffix of an URL to scan in order to enable playing of streams like .pls with vlc and lynx. If that is possible using EXTERNAL, I didn't find it described in lynx.cfg. Might another way around this problem be some good entries in a .mailcap file? If so, I could study the .mailcap file format and maybe come up with some good entries to share that will more completely enable mplayer and vlc working with lynx and share those with the list when I get them working. Ultimately such a .mailcap file might be a little extra support for the lynx browser for users to download and install. I have retired and my my own computer equipment nobody else uses so would have time to figure out as much as possible along these lines if there's interest. Finally, if for some of this the wheel has already been invented I don't see any good sense in reinventing such a wheel.