lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Display Unicode text in lynx run in a Putty window

From: Yong Huang
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Display Unicode text in lynx run in a Putty window
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 12:09:07 -0700

I use Putty (a telnet or ssh program) to connect to a UNIX box and run lynx (Version 2.8.8rel.2 (09 Mar 2014)). On a page with Unicode text, such as the language names under the "Languages" heading of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29

how do I configure lynx to display the text correctly?  For example, the first Arabic and the last Chinese language names are not shown correctly. I set lynx option "Display character set" to "UNICODE (UTF-8)", "Assumed document character set" to "utf-8", and saved the setting. I also tried various fonts inside Putty and Translation to either UTF-8 or "Use font encoding". None worked. Thanks for help.