[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx and character set

From: Klaus-Peter Wegge
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx and character set
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:19:56 +0200 (CEST)
User-agent: Alpine 2.00 (DEB 1167 2008-08-23)

quick remark: when setting lynx to utf8, current versions packaged with
debian or ubuntu have problems in form fields and text entry fields.
As soon as an UTF8 character is used, the cursor is positioned one
position to far to the right.
And it is getting funny when trying to correct a text field with
UTF8 characters by using backspace or left/right arrow.
May be, the calculation of the cursor position does not care of the
fact, that some two byte characters are presented as one character on
the screen.
I have not tested with the current dev version of lynx yet.

BTW: I gave up to use UTF8 on linuxes at the moment in the text
mode, because many command line applications still have some problems to
deal with UTF8.

Best, Klaus

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:30:41PM +0300, Riku Virtanen wrote:

How to unset lynx?

In my environment, I have LYNX_CFG set so that I can add my own settings,


and in that file, it adds settings, e.g.,


So... to be certain that I was seeing the packager's defaults, I did

        unset LYNX_CFG lynx

from a sh-prompt.

The unicode.html file in lynx's sources is a good test-case.

The locale-option was on, and display character set was utf-8.
Still, alphabets are not working.


On Sun, 14 Jul 2013, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:03:50PM +0300, Riku Virtanen wrote:

I have a Fedora 17 machine, Lynx 2.8.7rel.2 and default character
set of the machine is utf-8.

Now, I am trying to configure the browser that it would show the
Scandinavian and German alphabets properly.
ä, ö and å are now totally wrongly viewed.

I have tested practically all options for Display Character Set in
options menu, but the problem stays.

well... using uxterm, and I did just this to view the unicode.html
file from the sources:

        a) unset LYNX_CFG (so that I would not be confused by my local settings)
        b) run lynx...
        c) in the options menu I set "Use locale-based character set" ON
        d) set "Display character set" to "UNICODE (UTF-8)".

The resulting display looks okay to me -

This is with the Fedora18 package for 2.8.7rel.1 (I'm at the moment
working on an rpm script for a different program).

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]