lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] possible bug in lynx download...

From: Rick Thomas
Subject: [Lynx-dev] possible bug in lynx download...
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 16:11:05 -0700

Hi there!

The following discussion occurred on the "debian-users" email list. It was suggested that reporting it here might be of interest and, if the behavior it describes is felt to be a genuine bug, maybe get it fixed. I'll also be submitting a bugreport to Debian.

Enjoy!

Rick

Rick wrote:

On an apple macintosh G4, running debian squeeze, I use lynx to download cd-images from cdimage.debian.org. I have no problem getting CD ".iso" images. (Except that it seems to prefer IPv6, which is significantly slower for me than IPv4. Is there a config option to change that behavior?)

But when I try downloading the MD5SUMS file from the same directory, I get a few lines of HTML pre-pended to the downloaded file.

Has anybody else seen this behavior? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug in Lynx?

Rick

Then wes wrote, in reply:

hi rick.

But when I try downloading the MD5SUMS file from the same directory, I get a few lines of HTML pre-pended to the downloaded file.

lines like the following?

<!-- X-URL: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.7/powerpc/iso-cd/MD5SUMS -->
<!-- Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 00:34:12 GMT -->
<!-- Last-Modified: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:31:23 GMT -->
<BASE HREF="http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.7/powerpc/iso-cd/MD5SUMS ">

Has anybody else seen this behavior?

well, i just noticed it now, retracing your steps.

Is this a bug in Lynx?

i do not believe so.  afaict, lynx adds those lines for generally
sensible reasons, as explained here:

http://lynx.isc.org/current/lynx2-8-8/lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html#RemoteSource

as mentioned there, if you really want to, you can disable this
behavior by adding

PREPEND_BASE_TO_SOURCE:FALSE

to your lynx.cfg.

<some discussion of using wget instead of lynx for this particular application>

hope this helps,
wes

To which Rick replied:

Thank you , Wes, for the very complete and helpful explanation.

You seem to know a lot about this.
I hope you don't mind if I continue to pick your brain on this subject... (-:

But when I try downloading the MD5SUMS file from the same directory, I get a few lines of HTML pre-pended to the downloaded file.

lines like the following?

<!-- X-URL: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.7/powerpc/iso-cd/MD5SUMS -->
<!-- Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 00:34:12 GMT -->
<!-- Last-Modified: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:31:23 GMT -->
<BASE HREF="http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.7/powerpc/iso-cd/MD5SUMS ">

Yes, exactly.

As you probably figured out, I'm using the "d" command not the "<cr>" option to start the download.

So my next question is: Why does it do this when downloading MD5SUM, but *not* when downloading the ".iso" file? Does it recognize a difference between the two formats (binary vs a text) and invoke a corresponding difference in treatment for download?

And the next-next question: The text file is not an html text file. This is a difference that it could also recognize, one would think. It seems reasonable to me that a non-html file should be treated just like a binary file for download purposes. Am I missing something?

Has anybody else seen this behavior?

well, i just noticed it now, retracing your steps.

Is this a bug in Lynx?

i do not believe so.  afaict, lynx adds those lines for generally
sensible reasons, as explained here:

http://lynx.isc.org/current/lynx2-8-8/lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html#RemoteSource

So it's a feature (hence, not a bug) when downloading html text files. Is it, then, a bug when that feature gets applied indiscriminately to all text files, even those that don't contain html?

as mentioned there, if you really want to, you can disable this
behavior by adding

PREPEND_BASE_TO_SOURCE:FALSE

to your lynx.cfg.

I'd prefer, of course, if it automatically knew the difference and acted correctly in all cases. But if that's not possible, I guess having a config option to disable the behavior is the next best thing.

For what it's worth, I've never known any browser other than lynx that behaves this way. Is there something special about the design of lynx that makes this desirable?

Thanks!

Rick

And wes replied:

fair enough.  report bugs to this address:

address@hidden

Please CC me in any replies. I'm not currently subscribed to the lynx- dev mailinglist.

Hope this helps,