lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27

From: Stephen Isard
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 17:23:54 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013, Thomas Dickey dickey-at-his.com |lynx-dev| wrote:
<snip>
Ok.  As I said, I don't think the packagers of my rpm really
intended yellow text on a white background, so I'll just say it is
happening in the default configuration and that setting
DEFAULT_COLORS to false gives the black background that their
lynx.lss specifies.  I'm not really fussy about the colors as long
as I can make out the text.  The oldlynx settings would be ok, as
would the colors that I think they were trying for.  I just don't
think lynx should come up unreadable by default.

I agree - but there's a dilemma: turning default colors off by default
makes lynx slower than needed for anyone who was happy with it as is.
And there's no reliable way for lynx to determine which to do, other
than the user's configuration (including $TERM setting).

Well, I wonder whether anyone is actually happy with yellow on white. I think it's just an accident. Why specify a black background in the ..lss file if you want white?

An alternative if they are worried about speed would be to change the alink background in lynx.lss to some other dark color, like gray or dark blue. We are talking here about an rpm package for a linux distribution which gives you terminals with white backgrounds by default, so I think it's fair to configure the lynx package to go along with that, and let people who want something else change their configuration files accordingly.

I don't really understand what is going on with DEFAULT_COLORS. Why does specifying a black background in the .lss give you white (assuming the screen background is white), when specifying any other color - blue, green, red - gives you that color?

Stephen Isard