lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] non-ascii characters in URLs

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] non-ascii characters in URLs
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:04:52 -0500

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 08:21:39PM +0100, Klaus-Peter Wegge wrote:
> Dear Lynx Team,
>
> URLs with non-ascii characers are getting more popular in Europe.
> For example: http://www.hörkomm.de (German site).

well... other users would be set up for using UTF-8 encoding.
But that isn't quite the problem.  After running some checks
to refresh my memory:

a) from the command-line, lynx accepts just URLs that contain ISO-8859-1.
b) in webpages, lynx accepts more flavors.
c) lynx displays those URLs using translation from the IDNA library
   (which is helpful in some ways, not in others).

Actually (for your test url), in Firefox I get a page saying "no pages
found".  I can get the same result by following a suitable link from
lynx.  Attaching files that I used for experimenting with lynx, for
discussion purposes...