lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML5 meta charset attribute

From: KIHARA Hideto
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML5 meta charset attribute
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 07:01:18 +0900

If meta charset attrbute is not supported
(and the document encoding is different from terminal encoding),
I can not read the entire document which uses meta charset attribute.
And I must use another browser instead of lynx only for these documents.
It's very inconvenient.
# In contrast, even if other html5 elements like <article> are not supported,
# that content is readable.

The meta charset attribute is described in first public working draft
of html5 specification published on 2008.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-20080122/#meta

There are some mention that lynx does not support meta charset attribute yet.
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20080708/you-can-use-html-5/#comment-74096
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2010/a-minimal-html5-document/#comment-681435
http://www.nurs.or.jp/~tokyu/diary/121

Other browsers(Firefox and WebKit(Safari and Google Chrome))
support meta charset attribute already.
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/62ea504b378d/parser/html/nsHtml5MetaScanner.cpp#l764
http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/html/parser/HTMLMetaCharsetParser.cpp?rev=73756#L119

The meaning of <meta charset="utf-8"> of html5 is same as
Lynx already supports meta http-equiv attribute
(at least on 06-07-96 according to <http://lynx.isc.org/current/CHANGES2.6>).
Specifying charset by meta http-equiv attribute is described
in HTML 4.0 specification published on 1997.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40-971218/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.2
# Meta http-equiv attribute is described in HTML 2.0 published on 1995
# http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html#SEC5.2.5

# An analysis of html documents finds common markup error:
# <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content=text/html; charset=windows-1252>
# http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/metadata.html
--
KIHARA, Hideto / address@hidden
http://www1.interq.or.jp/~deton/