lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] -dump/-source vrs .newsauth: bug or feature?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] -dump/-source vrs .newsauth: bug or feature?
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 18:06:09 -0400

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 07:20:55PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:

> lynx -version:
>
> Lynx Version 2.8.7pre.1 (17 Mar 2009)
> libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, ncurses 5.6.20080925(wide)
> Built on linux-gnu Mar 23 2009 00:11:27
>
> --
>
> I've no trouble connecting up to a local newsserver
> that requires login, interactively, using the .newsauth
> file as documented in the
> 'URL Schemes Supported in Lynx' document to handle the
> login details.
>
> If, however, I try doing a -dump or -source:
>
> Connecting to NewsHost ...
> Looking up news.lafn.org
> Making NNTP connection to news.lafn.org
>
> lynx: Can't access startfile nntp://news.lafn.org/comp.lang.forth
>
> --
>
> Is this intentional behaviour for lynx or a bug?
>
> I've nothing to base this on, but my suspicion is that
> non-interactively, Lynx is confused about where
> to look for the .newsauth file.

It's looking in $HOME/.newsauth

A quick check of the code shows it's not overridden by an environment
variable, doesn't show up in the "-trace" option.

(The account I used to use to test this part is defunct, but
I might subscribe to something, for testing it again...)

> Another problem with reading news is that I can
> look at messages with w3m at textnews.news.cambrium.nl,
> but trying the same with lynx, I can get the list of messages,
> but trying to look at a specific message produces:
>
> Network Error: connection lost

I see this too - sounds like a bug...