lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Dumps Unicode file in broken encoding.

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Dumps Unicode file in broken encoding.
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:18:09 +0000 (UTC)

Thomas Dickey dixit:

> Without some charset in the document, or override via command-line or lynx
> configuration, the file will be treated as ISO-8859-1.  He seems to be
> expecting lynx to treat it as UTF-8.

I think this is what recent (X)HTML/HTTP standards assume as well.
This is the reason I changed that locally – but you probably can
only change the default on a full-UTF-8 operating system, since
changing the assumed character set for local files would break OSes
without locale and Unicode support, such as OpenBSD. Besides, some
(few) webpages still display badly as they do not declare their
character set, but the “webmasters” usually fix it upon reporting.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."