lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Does lynx have a publicly available repository ?

From: Sébastien Hinderer
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Does lynx have a publicly available repository ?
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 20:01:34 +0200

Hi,

Thomas Dickey (2008/06/29 12:04 -0400):
>> Are there any plans to migrate towards a public repository ?
>
> no (for a variety of reasons)
>
>> To me, this would make it easier for potential contributors to get thee
>> latest development version and then submit patches against it.
>
> It's not been a big problem - there are pros/cons either way, but the
> cons outweigh.

In case the question was not yet discussed on this list, could you
please elaborate a bit and explain the "variety of reasons" and why the
cons outweight ?

To me, the fact that lynx does not have a public repository is a big
surprise, because it is the first example of this type I know about. So
I am wondering why this is so, whereas so many free software have chosen
a developement model based on a publicly available repository.
I am totally open to any explanation, just curious.
Also, I am not interested in trolls, only in constructive discussions,
so there is absolutely no polemic spirit in this question.

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Sébastien.