lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] XHTML: empty "textarea" tag messed up

From: Nils Dagsson Moskopp
Subject: [Lynx-dev] XHTML: empty "textarea" tag messed up
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 05:31:13 +0200

Hello lynx-dev mailing list,

I am doing a free (as in freedom) video content management system [1]
that utilizes XHTML. Since I like the idea of accessability, I often
test my markup in text browsers like lynx. Some time ago I even found
out that you can watch video from the console - VLC with ASCII output is
started when you "click" the video link.

However, our upload and comment forms break in Lynx. I have traced this
to an empty "textarea" tag. While I know that Lynx was never an XHTML
browser, I hereby kindly ask someone to fix that - I am almost sure
other web sites use empty "textarea" tags, too.

Links and W3M show the same behaviour as lynx while elinks just ignores
the "textarea" tag; links2 apparently can't handle XHTML, it displays
the source as text. Netrik seems to be the only text browser that
doesn't break the site upon encoutering this tag. Attached is a test
case with two texareas; it is known to be W3C compatible.

Best regards,

Nils Dagsson Moskopp

[1] http://yolanda.mister-muffin.de/

--
Bitte beachten Sie, dass aufgrund des deutschen Gesetzes zur
Vorratsdatenspeicherung Informationen über elektronische Kommunikation

Please note that according to the German law on data retention,
information on every electronic information exchange with me is retained
for a period of six months.