lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Usnatch - or how to view YouTube clips using Lynx and/or

From: Dallas
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Usnatch - or how to view YouTube clips using Lynx and/or the console!
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:43:24 -0700

> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:49:29 +0000
> From: "Paul B. Mahol" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Usnatch - or how to view YouTube clips using
>       Lynx    and/or the console!
> To: "Y P" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Lynx-devlist <address@hidden>
>
> There is no need to iplement anything like that inside lynx.

It probably would be a bad idea for several reasons.
The code in usnatch may need to be changed abruptly
if YouTube or whatever suddenly change their web interfaces.
There are other reasons not to, but that first is enough reason
not to do that.

> lynx provides externals, and with externals you can do anything you want:
> some examples;
> watch youtube videos with unsatch, - well, usnatch use mplayer to
> display videos, but for some reasons xine works better for me.

You can override the default media player usnatch uses with
the environmental variable  USNATCH_PLAY.
Xine on my system either needs to be run in a GUI
or use aalib, which is fun but usually not the best quality.

> LIMIT is only your imagination.
> PRINTER and DOWNLOADER also have its own unlimited use.

Absolutely!

> But I do not like much current usnatch, for following reasons, it
> always ask where to store video,

I should make it clearer in the prompt, you can just
hit return and it will use a default file name.

>                                  it plays video only when download is
> finished.
>
> Second can be easily fixed: let mplayer start to loop through video,
> while in the backgroud video is still being fetched from net.
> If user do not want to watch all of it, user just quits mplayer when
> it have seen first few seconds of video and usnatch simple abort wget
> and exit.

You're the second person I know of to comment on this.
I seem to recall having problems playing the .flv files
if they were not completely downloaded, but that may just
be my computer being too wimpy.
I'll add something like a '-d' (for 'direct play') option ASAP.
Thanks for the feed back.

> In short: instead of plugins, lynx have: externals, printer,
> downloader (and other features ..)

Regards, Dallas E. Legan II / address@hidden / address@hidden
"Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"
        - "At the Mountains of Madness", H.P. Lovecraft