lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] how can I trace down "pauses"

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] how can I trace down "pauses"
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 18:51:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Virden, Larry W. wrote:

Hi!

Recently a favorite web site (http://wiki.tcl.tk/) changed http servers.
Since that occurance, I've been noticing a peculiar behavior with lynx
(2.8.7dev.4 built on sparc solaris is my primary version).

What I see happen is this - in the first second or so, the page appears.
In the status message, I see Read 12 of 13 KB of data, 6 KB/sec. or
perhaps 18 of 22 KB. Then lynx sits for 30 seconds, and eventually
either gets the data or gives up - I can't tell which.

The weird thing is that if I use 'z' to tell lynx to stop , I look
around and see what appears to be the entire page.

So, what approach would you take to try to figure out what is going
on between lynx and the server that is causing the 30 second 'delay'?

hmm - see

        http://wiki.tcl.tk/15781

Looks like the problem is that wub isn't closing its connections in a timely fashion (this affects w3m as well). Perhaps the 30-seconds comes from a timer in wub that closes inactive sessions - I don't see anything on lynx's side that's forcing a timeout, and 30-seconds seems too low for network timeout.

Reading lynx's code, it appears that it relies on the server to close the connection after sending data. I suppose lynx "could" close the connection (would be surprised if that's not addressed in an RFC), but it's not doing the required bookkeeping. I think that getting wub to behave like other servers is the best route.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net