lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Re: [Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

From: David Woolley
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: [Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:28:39 +0000 (GMT)

> Suppose that I have 2 GPLed programs, and one exercised their rights
> under section 8 to, say, deny distribution in the USA due to patent

That right isn't to deny distribution in (say) the USA, as that denial
exists without that exemption.  What it is actually doing is permitting
distribution in the rest of the world.

> concerns.  Wouldn't merging the two involve sublicensing the one that
> did not exercise their rights under section 8.  If so, then that is

That permission only needs to be explicit in the GPL because it applies
to derivatives of third party GPLed code.  If all the code were from
the one copyright owner, the general permission to give additional
rights would, I suspect, have covered the case.

> IANAL, TINLA and all that good stuff.

Ditto.