lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Re: Nested lists

From: Walter Ian Kaye
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: Nested lists
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:04:48 -0700

At 09:51a -0400 09/26/2006, address@hidden didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:

Creative use of DL has always been a controversial area.  There are
some people who consider that it should only be use for definition lists.
However, I think that this example is so clearly a nested un-numbered list,
and that is the interpretation that most people who bother to mark up
site maps structurally seem to make.
<<<<<<<<
I confess I never have seen a site map.

Wanna see 3 alternate (and outdated) ones?
http://natural-innovations.com/site/map.html

"bother" is right -- 3 was too much, and HotSauce passed into history.
I will not be porting my 'choosemap' script to my new server, but its log file could be somewhat interesting. :-)

I was moved by the grouping of
"submenu"s under "Menu" in one "level", and for that "dd" and "dt" seemed
right, and that in a TR or something else found under <www.w3.org/MarkUp>
it said that there are other uses of definition lists.

Indeed, I could argue that in fact the items in a menu define that menu, and menu items in DD define the menu title in the DT, and thus DLs are more meaningful and logical than ULs. Arbitrarily restricting the usage to purely "literary" meaning seems silly in a multimedia world rich with puns and double entendres. Why can't DLs define menus? It makes perfect sense to me for them to do so.

In particular, DL is should never be used if the only intention is to
achieve indentation.

That was not my only intention, as I have now clarified.

-boolean boo