lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing

From: Stegozor
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:58:27 +0200

On 7/25/06, Henry Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> > there is a binary of 2.8.5rel1 with an installer available from
> > Takeshi Hataguchi. That installer is primarily in Japanese, but the
> > binary and documentation are fine in English. You can get it from
> > "http://lynx-win32-pata.sourceforge.jp/";. Just look for the link to the
[...]
> The latest available binary is now the one from Takeshi Hataguchi
> (2.8.6dev.17).

Probably most English speakers want the internationalized version (link #10):
"http://prdownloads.sourceforge.jp/lynx-win32-pata/19739/Lynx286dev17TH.exe";.
As Doug points out, this distribution has an _installer_; just double click
should do it.

Thanks a lot for this link, and thanks to the one who developed this
version. I downloaded this version and it worked quite fine for
posting messages in newsgroups, I didn't have to use the lynx.cfg file
at all. Just the newspost:// command, and it worked, where the version
downloaded from
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/wlynx/lynx_w32.2.8.2rel.1.zip didn't
work. Maybe a bug in this version, or a needed setting in the .cfg
file that I wasn't able to set and that the installer did for me.

Anyway, I know where to ask my questions when I have further questions
(special 8 bit characters, why Lynx displayed some text in French,
I'll have to look at that). Let me put a few remarks about the lynx
home page, though:

Before subscribing to the mailing-list, when I just visited the
website I thought that the project wasn't maintained at all since a
few years. Some tutorial links are broken, and executable versions for
Dos and Windows are not up to date. IMHO some little updates, not to
say an overhaul would make sense, especially for basic users like me.

Sincerely.