lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx settings page is vanished and RULE:MAP behavior

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx settings page is vanished and RULE:MAP behavior
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:39:58 -0400

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 08:19:28PM +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> Lynx settings page: http://www.hippo.ru/%7Ehvv/lynxcfg_toc.html,
> which is linked from Lynx Help Page, seems to be vanished.
> I heard that a person copied the pages in
> http://www.geocities.jp/lynx_cfg/lynxcfg_toc.html.
> # He is not an original author.

a quick look at this shows some differences - iirc, I kept the same filenames
as the hippo ones, though I rewrote the process for creating the pages.
These filenames are different (it's been a while since I looked at the
page, and don't recall the history page).

> lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html and
> lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html should be modified.

something like that's on my to-do list for dev.18 (to make the autoconf'd
lynx.cfg point to the copy that is installed locally).  The hippo pages were
out of date anyway.

> By the way, I found
>     RULE:Redirect http://www.hippo.ru/%7Ehvv/*
> http://www.geocities.jp/lynx_cfg/*
> works as expected, but
>     RULE:MAP http://www.hippo.ru/%7Ehvv/* http://www.geocities.jp/lynx_cfg/*
> doesn't work as expected.
> In the latter case, Lynx seems to send below http request to www.geocities.jp.
>
>     GET /lynx_cfg/lynxcfg_toc.html HTTP/1.0\r
>     Host: www.hippo.ru\r
>     Accept: text/html, text/plain, text/sgml, */*;q=0.01\r
>     Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress, bzip2\r
>
> I think "Host: www.hippo.ru" isn't proper here, but
> "Host: www.geocities.jp" is.  Is this a bug or a restriction?

I think it's a bug.

--