lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Color in an Emacs terminal emulator (eterm)

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Color in an Emacs terminal emulator (eterm)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:05:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Bryan Henderson wrote:

When I page down, areas on the left of the screen that are supposed to
be a blank left margin retain their contents from the previous page.
For example, <http://netpbm.sf.net/doc/pnmtojpeg.html>.

I don't have eterm handy, but looking to see if it is an effect of $TERM,
ncurses or lynx in an xterm I don't see this effect.  I looked with current
(2.8.6dev.13), and release (2.8.5).  If I can reproduce it, I can analyze it.

Me too.  I see the problem only in an eterm (in an actual eterm (Emacs
'term' command), with TERM=eterm).

You said before you had reproduced another problem with an eterm, so I
hope you can have one handy soon and see if you can reproduce this
problem.

no - what I said was that I had set $TERM to "eterm" on xterm and was able to see the issue with the color-pairs (which happened to show an error in lynx).

This is with both the old black and white eterm definition (from
Ncurses) and the new color one (from Emacs), both Emacs 20 and Emacs
21.  In a 'linux' terminal, it works fine.  It's the same with and
without your patch applied.

Is that "'linux' terminal" just a regular Linux console, or Emacs terminal
using $TERM set to 'linux'?

It's an actual Linux console; no emacs involved.  (I thought using the
Ncurses name for the terminal type would be less ambiguous and that it
was implied that I matched my TERM with the actual terminal; sorry for
the confusion).

ok.  The "eterm" terminfo you sent would produce the same effect on xterm
or linux console, since the relevant parts (cursor move, clearing, etc)
behave the same on both.  But with a quick check on either xterm or Linux
console, I don't see the problem you reported.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net