lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Re: passwords & cookies

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: passwords & cookies
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:27:19 +0200

Philip Webb <address@hidden> wrote:

> one of my daily reads is the Toronto Star,
> which introduced a free login system last year.
> when i read it with Firefox, having long ago entered my username & password
> & allowed its cookies, it comes up w/o hindrance every time.
> when i go to use Lynx to grab an article to e-mail to someone,
> having restarted Lynx at the beginning of my day's Linux session,
> i have to re-enter my username & password & reply 'a' to  3  cookies.
> i have 'persistent cookies' set in my Lynx config file.

> am i missing something or doesn't Lynx do what Firefox does ?

Hi,

I just subscribed to the Toronto Star, and it works fine for me.
I suspect that you have not set COOKIE_FILE:

   .h2 COOKIE_FILE
   # COOKIE_FILE is the default file from which persistent cookies are read
   # at startup (if the file exists), if Lynx was compiled with
   # USE_PERSISTENT_COOKIES and the PERSISTENT_COOKIES option is enabled.
   # The cookie file can also be specified in .lynxrc or on the command line.
   #
   # COOKIE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies

An totally unrelated small hint: To get the terse printer friendly page, create
a file,
cernrules.cfg, with these contents:

  INCLUDE:~/.lynx/lynx.cfg
  RULE:Redirect
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=*

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=*

and then start lynx as lynx -cfg ~/.lynx/cernrules.cfg

Morten