lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] how to maximize client area???

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] how to maximize client area???
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:44:43 +0900

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 05:43:35AM -0500, Chuck Martin wrote:
> PRINTER:Save left-justified text:sh -c "sed -e 's/^ *//' %s > lj.txt":TRUE

Thanks!  Already put it in my lynx.cfg.  (Not the first of yours to go
in there, iirc. :-)

> Personally, I have a problem with javascript being so universally accepted
> by the unwashed masses that commercial entities feel it's appropriate

I used to, too, but recently, as I've been developing materials for my
classes, I have begun to see great advantage to employing javascript for
interactive lessons.  We've got a lot to compete with out there for our
students attention!

An example I'm studying right now is: "http://escience.ws/b572/L1/L1.htm";.
It burns me to no end to know that Lynx can't do anything in the way of
giving instant answers, and checking only the correct boxes.

> I know that many people claim that it's safe, but I don't trust it, and
> I will only enable it grudgingly if I really have to have access to a

Javascript is pretty harmless, imho.  Java applets can be a bit scary.
I trust Sun more than M$, so I've installed Sun's free Java Runtime
Environment (http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/index.xml).  Anyway,
both javascript in html and java programs running on your machine
definitely have a place in education.  Here's an example of the latter:
"http://www.bspp.org.uk/maize/maizegame.htm";.

> I code only when necessary (to fix bugs or add features to programs that
> are missing things I think would be useful).  Part of the reason I use
> Lynx is because it makes much more efficient use of my time.  Not only

Hmmm, what you could do with the extra time you gain.  :)

I could turn you on to a couple of bugs in Lynx that need fixing.
Lynx could definitely use javascript support.  Heh, heh.  Can at least
try, can't I?

> It still is.  That's why CSS was invented.

Love my CSS, that's for sure!  Like it so much because I can author for
GUI and CUI (Lynx) at the same time: "http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/";.
(Not public, but not restricted, either.  For the Japanese students :).

> > everyone else is wrong & a tiny minority of Lynx users is right ... (sigh)

You bet!  :)

> As I said, I only program when necessary,

Hmmm.  What curses library (on what system) do you link Lynx to?  Lynx
with ncursesw definitely needs work at least when it's running on NetBSD
and accessed via a shell account with Putty as the terminal.

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999