lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] real woes: lynx2.8.6dev.7, OR ncursesw, OR japanese-utf8

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] real woes: lynx2.8.6dev.7, OR ncursesw, OR japanese-utf8
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 09:00:05 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Henry Nelson wrote:

> I updated to lynx2.8.6dev.7, and at the same time changed from slang
> to ncursesw, and added the --enable-japanese-utf8 configure option.
>
> The initial display of Japanese pages seems okay, except for the first
> link on the page, which is shifted to the right so that the left-most
> character of the link is duplicated, although the original character
> is not highlighted.  As you navigate down the page, all the links shift
> to the right leaving one or more kanji on the left side of the link
> duplicated.  Apologize that I don't have time to make a screenshot, but
> maybe the following will make it through the mail to someone:
>
> Before navigating to the link:
>      [58]卒業生・同窓生の皆様へ
>
> After moving down with vi keys to the link:
>      [58]卒卒業生・同窓生の皆様へ
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Only the underlined part is highlighted in reverse.

I still don't see this effect on the pages you mention.  But see below.

> I seem to recall a similar report but thought it had been fixed.  Is it
> a configuration problem on my side?  How to fix?

No, it wasn't fixed.

> There is another VERY strange result of changing to ncursesw (or using
> --enable-japanese-utf8 option), that is that pasting into, for example,
> the g)oto status line really is sluggish.  Previously a cut-n-paste was
> instantaneous so that even a long URL went on all at once.  Now even a
> relatively short URL pastes in letter by letter as if being typed by
> a fast typist.  It must be a result of one of the three of updating to
> lynx2.8.6dev.7, using ncursesw, or using the --enable-japanese-utf8 option.
>
> The --enable-japanese-utf8 is working!  This was one important reason for
> building a new Lynx since the number of utf-8 pages increases daily.  I
> used the following pages for testing:
>   http://bythebay.web.infoseek.co.jp/pc/mojibake61.html

With verbose images on ("as links"), I see a difference on the links with
"Windows XP". When the links are not highlighted, the color-style coloring
ends before the line, but when those links are highlighted, the
highlighted part is a little longer.

>   http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~akvo/amika/Mac_de_uni.html

The link for unipermak.html also isn't colored properly (for color-style).

>   http://homepage1.nifty.com/kuono/ml/

The second and third links aren't colored properly (still related to color
style).

I'll build a non-color-style version and look at those, since I suspect
that's what you're using.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net