lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.6dev.6

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.6dev.6
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:59:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Atsuhito KOHDA wrote:

> From: Thorsten Glaser <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.6dev.6
> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:39:25 +0000 (UTC)
>
> > Atsuhito Kohda dixit:
> >
> > >When lynx displaied a page, the first letter of a highlighted
> > >link name was duplicated like "LLynx Users Guide" (The Lynx
> > >Help Page, for example).
> >
> > FYI, doesn't appear on i386-ecce-mirbsd8.
> >
> > You might want to provide more information - which terminal
> > or terminal emulation, the environment, etc.
>
> I see.  lynx was compiled with an option --with-screen=ncursesw
> and I setted CHARACTER_SET:euc-jp with lynx.cfg
>
> Terminal emulator was kterm and setted LANG=ja_JP.eucJP

Thanks.  I've done most of my testing with ja_JP.UTF-8 (with xterm).
I spent some time looking at mlterm (it had some odd refresh problems
that didn't seem to be my bugs).  Related to the Redhat bug I mentioned
a while ago, I experimented with converting the ja.po file to UTF-8,
but didn't see that changed the messages (since - I'm told - on Linux
glibc can do the conversion).  ncursesw "should" work properly with
ja_JP.eucJP -

I'm guessing that my fixes are incomplete - and this is causing the effect
you're seeing.  Lynx contains some logic to handle UTF-8 specially.  I
haven't removed that, but added logic (or ifdef's) for the ncursesw setup
which bypassed most of Lynx's special UTF-8 logic.  (I said "most", since
I did notice some odd corners which were not exercised by the options form
and other pages that I used for testing).

I'll setup some testing with kterm and see if I can see the same effect
as that which you are seeing.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net