lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] FreeBSD4.9/term=xterm/ncurses/putty - display problem

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] FreeBSD4.9/term=xterm/ncurses/putty - display problem
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 17:26:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I run into the following problem.
>
> A fresh FreeBSD 4.9 system installed from CD,
> it is accessed via PuTTY terminal emulator.
> Lynx 2.8.5rel is compiled with the default library (ncurses).

and complicating the problem is that FreeBSD uses their termcap entries
in preference to ncurses' terminfo.   (Their termcap file has many
errors).

> When running lynx I see the wrong picture:
> text and links are shown on a white background (OK),
> while the trailing spases on each line are shown in black !!!
> It is with the default term=xterm environment.

Trailing spaces in the wrong color are usually because the terminfo (or
termcap) doesn't match the terminal's characteristics.

The terminfo I made for PuTTY indicates that clearing does not propagate
the current color setting (though I seem to recall some disagreement about
that - recent versions of PuTTY may have changed this, or made it
optional).

FreeBSD's "xterm" is (the last I knew) basically xterm-xfree86, which
tells ncurses that the terminal will propagate colors. If your original
terminal background was black, and PuTTY does not propagate colors, then
there will be occasional patches of incorrect colors (the terminal's
original background).

> Switching the environment to term=linux apparently "fix" the problem,
> colored output is shown on a white background.

The linux termcap should have "ut".  Checking, I see that FreeBSD's
termcap has this incorrect.  Given that incorrect information, ncurses
will assume it has to fill in colored blanks explicitly rather than
relying on the terminal's clearing to do this.   (This is slower).

(If FreeBSD's termcap were correct, an analogous explanation would be
a little harder ;-)