lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] content-type viewing

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] content-type viewing
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 06:49:02 -0500

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 10:42:05PM -0800, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> At 07:31a -0500 03/13/2004, Thomas Dickey didst inscribe upon an
> electronic papyrus:
>
> >On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> >
> > > Is there some way to increase the repertoire of content-types that
> > > Lynx will display via HTTP? Currently, I have to save a file to disk
> > > in order to view it, which is a time-wasting hassle.
> > >
> > > JavaScript files and certain charsets are what Lynx refuses to
> > > display via http, yet displays perfectly fine if I 1)view source
> > > 2)print to file 3)open file.
> >
> >Lynx doesn't interpret JavaScript - that's a lot of code that no one's
> >developed (for Lynx of course).
>
> Not interpret. Just display as if content-type were text/plain.

that's still interpretation.  Whatever is done to put it on the screen
is interpreting it in some manner (and no browser simply writes text to
the screen without doing this).

> >Character sets are a different matter - some interpretations that we
> >might change (see some recent discussion of BIG5).
>
> Again, I don't care about interpretation; I just want it to display
> as plain text.
>
> Is there some setting I can adjust?

JavaScript is handled as a comment; that's visible in the source display.
While some fragments of JavaScript are useful for navigation, generally
this is not true.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net