lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev OT: ncurses for MingW

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev OT: ncurses for MingW
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:13:32 -0500

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:03:09PM +0100, Gisle Vanem wrote:
> "Thomas Dickey" <address@hidden> said:
>
> > on having a good sh/awk/sed environment.  If I were porting that, I'd
> > generate the sources such as curses.h, lib_gen.c on another platform
> > and hand-tweak the ncurses_cfg.h file.  The form/menu libraries don't
> > require that.  I'm aware that panel uses some ncurses internals, but
> > don't recall if form/menu do.
>
> I've built menu.a okay, but hit a snag with WINDOW struct being
> defined differently in ncurses and PDcurses. Could I perhaps build
> PDcurses with ncurses' WINDOW? Or does ncurses needs WINDOW
> from PDC? If so, it doesn't have _line[] etc.

PDCurses uses _y[][] rather than _line[][].  A #define for that might be
enough for what you're doing.

There are indeed differences in that area.  See
        ftp://invisible-island.net/ded/td_lib.tgz
for some of the flavors I've used.  But if a curses implementation supports
winnstr, etc., that's preferred.  NetBSD curses makes the whole thing opaque.

> Also I don't understand why curses.h has to be generated.

It's generated because some of the ifdef's depend on the system configuration.
That was the original reason (still true).  KEY_xxx definitions also depend
on the configuration, and then the wide-character stuff is appended if it's
built up.

> Why couldn't the termcap/key stuff be included as normal?

ncurses can be configured to match the arrangement of some other curses
implementations which don't happen to match Solaris and IRIX64 (Tru64,
HPUX, AIX for example).