lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx, cron and tty

From: Harland Christofferson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx, cron and tty
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:18:54 -0500

At Wednesday, 11 February 2004, you wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Harland Christofferson wrote:

The copy

>> >ldd /usr/bin/lynx
>> >
>> >is a better way to see how it's built.
>> >

>> thanks ... i attached the output ... looks like the lynx i have was
>> built using libncurses.so.5.2
>>
>> it is the debian maintained package. should this work if i download
>> the source and build lynx locally, or, is there a binary available
>> using libncurses.so.5.2?
>
>I expect that
>
>libncurses.so is a link to
>libncurses.so.5 is a link to
>libncurses.so.5.4
>
>I'm using
>
>ii  libncurses5    5.3.20030719-5 Shared libraries for terminal
handling

>which shouldn't make any difference (that is I don't recall any issues
>with screensize).  But that's a possibility.  Also the version of cron
>may be a factor:
>
>ii  cron           3.0pl1-81      management of regular background
processing

i finally had some time to get back to this. ... i downloaded a development
tarball of lynx and compiled it. i tail -f the piped output from
the call to lynx, i.e., run the script i mentioned previoulsy in
one xterm and tail -f outfile.txt in another xterm,  and i notice
that it is the piping to the output file that is actually truncating
my data. it seems the exporting of the COLUMNS and LINES variables
does not impact the pipe to the output file.