lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:42:47 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Stef Caunter wrote:

> If the point of a version numbering system is to "market"
> lynx to everyone else, and I'm not sure it doesn't do that
> in some way, then Phillip makes a good point.
>
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> > numbering system quite clear. I still don't understand why you want to
> > change an accepted and clear system. If it isn't broken, I don't think
> > that we should try to fix it.

I always thought that the point of a version numbering system was
to identify the package clearly, so that anyone who wanted to use
it knows what it is. If you want to change the system in order to
"market" to someone, I think that it is incumbent on you to (1)
clearly identify the group to which you want to "market", (2) show
how a change in version numbering might help that "marketing", (3)
identify any adverse effects from the change, and (4) show why we
would want to "market" to that group.

Absent a convincing argument, I still think that we shouldn't change
what has been working well. If you don't think it has been working
well, please describe to the list where it fails. Has anyone on the
list received a specific request from some outside group to change the
version numbering?
                           Doug
--
Doug Kaufman