lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev README.ssl

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev README.ssl
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:45:48 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Stef Caunter wrote:

> -- Note:
>
> Lynx is GPL'd, so it falls under the regulations in EAR section
> 740.13(e)(1):
>
>     (1) Encryption source code controlled under 5D002, which would be
>         considered publicly available under section 734.3(b)(3) and
>         which is not subject an express agreement for the payment a
>         licensing fee or royalty for commercial production or sale of
>         any product developed with the source code, is released from
>         EI controls and may be exported or reexported without review
>         under License Exception TSU, provided you have submitted
>         written notification to BXA of the Internet location (e.g.,
>         URL or Internet address) or a copy of source code by the time
>         of export.

This section only applies to those who want to distribute SSL enabled
source or binaries from the US, and seems somewhat cryptic. I would
suggest instead that we remind users to check the laws and regulations
in their own countries, and perhaps give the URL for the US notification
rules
("http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/PubAvailEncSourceCodeNofify.html";).
Note that that isn't a typo; it really is "Nofify". This site contains
links to the full EAR regulations.
                            Doug

--
Doug Kaufman