lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Segfault with https

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Segfault with https
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:15:13 +0100 (BST)

>    helpful either.  As my correspondent with Mozilla found, this place
>    *has* a certificate, but it is not chained to anything "standard", so
>    is not "trusted".  Cannot a different message to be shown?

Almost certainly it could be made trusted if you had a local copy of
its certificate, so the message is correct.  Of course, for all your
local certificates, including those for standard certifiers, you
need to make sure that your method of obtaining them is absolutely
trustworthy.  (IE, I think, would simply say that the certificate
was bad, and you would have to go to more info to find out why.)

> Very illiterate about SSL,

Most of the world is.  Most of the world has a false sense of security
as a result.  Most certificates depend on your trusting a company
called Verisign, who are currently the centre of a controversy because
they redefined the way that DNS works, to their own benefit, without
even consulting anyone.

Unfortunately, if you want real security, it is not safe to be ignorant
about it.