lynx-dev

lynx-dev URI scheme re-documentation (RFC-1738bis) in process

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: lynx-dev URI scheme re-documentation (RFC-1738bis) in process
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 07:45:38 -0700

I looked through all the documents I could find, and I did not find
any suggestion for a URL dialect which might refer to particular
elements of an archive.  E.g., I'm thinking of something like

  file:///dir1/dir2/archive.zip#name/inside/archive.html#chunk_reference

(assuming that "name/inside/archive.html" is %-encoded if needed).  The
browser could detect the fact that the document is a ZIP file by the
MIME type, then it would know that it should strip the first
#-delimited part as the name of the archive entry.  This may be
repeated to treat archives-inside-archives etc.

What do people think?  [I never worked with URL internals before]
E.g., should one %-encode slashes inside the archive entry name?

Ilya