lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: [BUG] Editing in unicode

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [BUG] Editing in unicode
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 06:09:10 -0700

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 08:45:19AM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> Now Thomas says:
>
>     some paths through the program will preserve the bytes you type in, some
>     will check or otherwise process the data (and corrupt it).

> So it is not a problem of interaction with ncurses, as you insisted before?

He still insists:

 The problem is that lynx reads characters from the keyboard one byte
 at a time.

This is *not a problem*; read what I read again.  Lynx has no problem
with utf-8 input on "lynx' prompt" line.  Lynx has no problem with
storing the utf-8 input on "textareas" (i.e., even if the textarea
shows junk, it is fixed you leave the textarea, - and is even fixed
when you enter the textarea again).

> Moreover, I'm discussing *exactly the same* path through program: one
> opens a google search page, and xterm-pastes an entry into the field.
> If the entry was xterm-selected on "this" page, one gets one
> behaviour; it was selected on another one, one gets another.

OK, now I know more.  While the selected area stays as it is, xterm
pastes fine.  The moment the text area is overwritten, xterm pastes
####.

To see all what I say:

  a) Download ilyaz.org/software/tmp/input_cyr.html.

  b) xterm -u8 -fn '-*-fixed-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*'

  c) lynx --display_charset=utf-8 input_cyr.html

(I assume that the lynx on path is the latest one).  The cursor is in
the input field.

  d) xterm-select "OK" (it is actually in cyrillic ;-).
  e) xterm-paste it.

Buglet: lynx shows garbage.

  f) press Tab (or Down).

Garbage is fixed!

  g) press Up.

You are in the input field, and garbage is still fixed!  [but position
is wrong]

  h) Now xterm-paste again.

You get ## pasted instead of OK.  [xterm bug?!]

  i) press Tab and 'g'; you get into a prompted line; xterm-select OK and
     xterm-paste again - you see that lynx has no problem with utf-8
     input.  [it is only the textarea branch which is slightly confused]

Hope this helps,
Ilya

P.S.  I raised the question why "prompt textarea" and "HTML textareas"
are processed by different code a couple of years ago already.  Now it
is a ripe time to merge the code.

P.P.S.  Using ilyaz.org/software/tmp/input_cyr.html directly does not
work; META HTTP-EQUIV is not processed.  Is it the intended behaviour?