lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev foo.html.gz downloaded, then unzipped

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev foo.html.gz downloaded, then unzipped
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:06:21 +0900 (JST)

> As I reported earlier, if I want to see a gziped HTML file, it is
> first downloaded to the local filesystem, then shown (using builtin
> gzip stream support).  I would expect the builtin gzip stream support
> be applied directly to the stream coming from the socket.

This area has given me trouble.  It's closely aligned with the mime
determination of the file type.  Some extensions are hard coded, others
are read in via mailcap:mime.types files and/or VIEWER:SUFFIX definitions.
It is _conceivable_ that someone might want to view html with something
other than Lynx -- or Lynx but with a different configuration.  With the
present scheme, that can be done.  If you parsed it directly from the
uncompressed stream, you'd be locked into Lynx as presently configured.

What has happened to me is somewhat the opposite: Lynx will uncompress
a binary file and then present it as if it were text.  Recently that happened
with one of those macintosh hex (bin?) files.  I suppose because mac files
generally don't ship with an extension?

Tom's rushing to get a release out, but maybe I can tack this onto the
wish list for the release after that.  It would be nice if Lynx had code
to autodetect binary.  I think there are a number of open source routines
which could be plugged in.  I think it would make Tom's recent addition
to the d)ownload options more meaningful, and could be used in various
areas where compressed data is handled.  (For example, wouldn't trip when
the server's configuration is wrong.)

__Henry

(About the bzip2 support, there really isn't all that much of an advantage
over just using an external.  I find it a toss up between libz and gzip even
now.)