lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Lynx problems

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx problems
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:01:03 -0800

Leonid wrote:

> Currently, we double the space in the worst case (=each line is in
> Stbl).  This is not bad having in mind that most documents have
> smaller tables, and 2^N malloc implementations waste 1/4 space at
> average. Plus performance.

I'm not concerned about quality of implementation (at this moment);
only about the features.

> The situation differs if you need multiple passes for your improved
> table support.

Yes.  What is currently missing in the table support is the vertical
movement of the cells.  Currently Lynx produces:

     Cell-1-line-1
     Cell-1-line-2    Cell-2-line-1
                      Cell-2-line-2

To fix it, we need to move cell-2 contents one line up.  All which is
needed is a possibility to

  a) split a line in two pieces (already present);

  b) exchange two lines (trivial - the only non-trivial part is to
     exchange two "runs" of the anchors chain)

  c) merge two consequent lines into one (I have it done modulo
     allocation).

Hope this helps,
Ilya

P.S.    What the remaining statics are doing in GridText.c?  I see that
        a lot of them were moved into struct HText (as they should).
        Having the rest of them moved there we could easily implement
        "real frames" in Lynx.  [Especially if Thomas included my
        event-loop patches to NCurses. ;-]

P.P.S.  Why HText is not split into a (toplevel) Display-time part,
        and a (child) Parse-time part (accessible via a pointer from
        the Display part).  Then the (largish) Parse-time part could
        be free()ed at the end of parse...