lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev docbook & SGML

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev docbook & SGML
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:16:35 -0500

030102 Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> "Philip Webb" <address@hidden> writes:
>> i recently wanted to use a program whose dox were all in Docbook & SGML.
>> can anyone tell me how to read such documentation?
> Try to run db2html on main SGML file.  If you don't have such a script
> (on SuSE Linux it comes with the docbook-toys package) call openjade
> manually (make sure to have the stylesheets by Norman Walsh installed):
>   openjade -d .../path/to/stylesheet/docbook.dsl -t sgml file.sgml

thanx for this advice (and others'): i've run into more Docbook stuff
& spent a frustrating couple of hours trying to do something with it
(Mandrake Linux 9.0rc1).

'openjade -d /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/docbook.dsl
  -t sgml file.docbook > file.d1' creates a text file of sorts,
but i can't find any way to create an HTML file.  in fact,
it wb quite easy to write a Sed script to convert the tags,
but there must be some straightforward way to simply read Docbook files:
what are users expected to do with them?  surely, people don't convert
 25  .docbook files individually with some conversion program?

i've looked at Sgmltools (1998 abandoned) & Sgmltools-lite (won't run);
there's Docbook2X , which wouldn't compile.

i just checked Google's list for 'db2html', which is mainly complaints.

does anyone have further suggestions?