lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev [OT] Alternatives to NS4 (Re: Problem with parameters sent

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev [OT] Alternatives to NS4 (Re: Problem with parameters sent in Lynx)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:32:39 +0000

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 09:04:33PM +0100, Peter Rasmussen wrote:
> Having RedHat installed you probably downloaded.
> not recommend that, but instead the last one in the tar.gz column, ie. the
> Static Qt.

The static tar.gz is in fact what I did download, and what did not work.

> OK, if you run fvwm and is reluctant to try upgrading anything vital, then
> I'll
> have to say: "I'm sorry, but you've just lost you right to complain".

There is no upgrade path; it would require a complete reinstall, which
is a lot of work when you have as many customisations as I. I also have
no guarantee, before I try the reinstall, that the system I choose would
fit on my system [glibc 2.2 seems to be twice the size of 2.0 when all
the support files are included].

I was only "complaining" (actually playing devil's advocate) because
you justified your non-standards-compliant web package by saying that
"all major browsers understand it and Netscape 4.x doesn't count".
Netscape 4.x may be crap, but it is adequate for all properly-written
web sites.  I don't need to reinstall my whole system just to upgrade
to a different web browser.

imc