lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev alternatives to Lynx (was too long)

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev alternatives to Lynx (was too long)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:21:48 -0400

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 01:23:52AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> 020810 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > none of IE/NS/Opera was able to navigate to a download URL
> > for a patch that one of the Linux i18n groups had for xterm.
> > I used lynx for that and experimented with w3m/links,
> > but they didn't get as far as Opera - ugly site, I admit.
> > It was on li18nux.org, in April.  It uses frames a lot -
> > & IE/NS/Opera could only go around in circles, never showing my goal.
>
> Opera 6.02 : no problem with  w.l.o/subgroups/  & its  3  subdirs.
> Konqueror 2.2.2 : ditto.
> Linux 2-8-5dev6 : initial problem: 'download' is hidden by a 'jpg';
>   further obstructions due to frames & tables (negotiable);
>   Japanese sub-site doesn't display, as it contains both languages
>   (i would have to 'download' it or reconfigure Lynx:
>   Opera shows Japanese nicely, Konqueror adequately).
> NB all this is with Opera 6 : Opera 5 had many deficiencies.

The pages were no problem.  But I couldn't get the patch-file, which
was named something like

        xterm-6.5.1-i18n-0.6.patch.gz

(I could go lots of places, but that one was not reachable - and the person
who pointed it to me also could not reach it).  It's also possible that
someone modified the page since mid-April.

> i have just been using Lynx to browse & grab articles
> from Linux Journal/Magazine/Gazette, for which it is excellent,
> provided you remember to do  \  to get the source first ... (ouch!)

;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net