lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev A friend's lynx (MS-DOS) wants a "packet-driver" (???)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev A friend's lynx (MS-DOS) wants a "packet-driver" (???)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:36:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, David Combs wrote:

> A friend of mine justsent me this email:
>
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 04:34:28PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> > I downloaded Lynx for MS-DOS.
> >
> > You know about packet-drivers?  It wants one.
>
> Not using MS-DOS -- heck, not even having my
> own lynx right now (my isp has it for us
> shell-account users), I haven't a clue
> what he (or lynx) is talking about.

I suspect that your friend wants a solution rather than a discussion of
packet drivers. I would suggest that they download the latest lynx
binary distribution from my website. It has a README.DOS file that gives
URLs for getting packet drivers. What they need depends on whether they
are on a network, or making a PPP connection over a dialup line. Some
folks have found the setup in the package from my site confusing
(although it is quite flexible). If they have a usual configuration of
DOS, it may be easier to use the bobcat386 setup, with the latest
binary.

My site:
"http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/index.html";

John Lewis' site (for bobcat386):