lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx vs. links vs. elinks?

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx vs. links vs. elinks?
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 12:23:51 -0400 (EDT)

On 22 May 2002, clemensF wrote:

> just curious.  lynx can be trusted to cover the entire kuddelmuddel called
> "world wide web".  it is well represented by Thomas Dickey.  links is now
> what many hope for:  browsing in text-mode and also capable of
> javascript and graphics, running native code for each platform, of which
> are many.  elinks has no javascript, but lua and is very alive under
> professional-class development.

you appear to be referring to w3m (the javascript support still appears to
be pre-alpha).  The graphics are interesting (a little fragile though).

> Mikulas Patocka is for links, Petr "pasky" Baudis for elinks.  there are
> other projects whose goal is "good surfing":
>
> Dillo Web Browser :: Home Page, small, graphical
> http://dillo.cipsga.org.br/

(at least they put dates in their changelog - compare with elinks ;-)

> there's also netrik, text mode browser with ecma javascript
> http://netrik.sourceforge.net/

netrik is (based on actual code to advertisements) about 95% vaporware.

> my questions:
>
> x.  do the people named in this document cooperate actively?

probably not (they have different goals)

> x.  will we see a cross ported version of the best of links <-> elinks?

it's too soon to tell if elinks will become links, or if one will be
abandoned... (I put a copy of elinks on one of my machines, but the
quality was not noticeably improved).

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net