lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Links activate incorrectly

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Links activate incorrectly
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 04:51:41 -0400

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:52:01AM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> > >    The Content-Location entity-header field MAY be used to supply the
> >                                               ^^^
> > It doesn't sound as if there's a requirement for lynx to interpret it, then.
> > Perhaps the other browsers simply ignore it.
>
> I read this as referring to the server not the client.  I haven't checked
> whether Content-Location is in HTTP/1.0, but, if it is not, and given that
> Lynx requested with HTTP/1.0, the server wouldn't be able to assume that
> the client would act on this information, but cannot complain if it does.

Lynx's changelog does say it's a 1.1 feature...
(It sounds as if requesting with 1.0 and interpreting 1.1 is incorrect).

> Easynet's server is definitely broken.

otoh, IE, NS6, w3m, links and Opera all give the "expected" page, not the
broken one.  (NS4 on Linux doesn't render the original page well enough to run
the test).  It's not clear what they do, exactly (w3m ignores it, as does links
- no surprise - so there's no design information available for free).  I
suppose it's possible to trace the transaction from Opera (strace won't help
here ;-).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net