lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev RE: Lynx 2.8.3 [Win32 question]

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev RE: Lynx 2.8.3 [Win32 question]
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:00:59 +0900 (JST)

> Thank you very much for your help.  We do have a proxy server and is there a
> way that I can configure lynx to let it know about the proxy server that we
> use so that it can work within our environment ?  Thank you.

You don't exactly "configure lynx."  Proxies need to be set up as environment
variables for Lynx to use them.  The way you will define it will depend on
your shell (Unix).  In .cshrc, put an entry like:
        setenv http_proxy "http://192.168.10.10:8080/";
where "192.168.10.10:8080" is the real IP of your proxy server, and the port.

Sorry, but I know nothing about how this is done on Windows or DOS.

__Henry

P.S.

It seems that what I have been calling "pseudo-proxies" are not documented.
I have no time to do documentation anymore, so I'll mention in passing that
they are set up basically the same way as "real" proxies.  An example I have
on hand is:
        setenv sjhttp_proxy 'lynxcgi://localhost/home/hn/.lynxcgi/nkfSe.sh?/'
where "nkfSe.sh" is a shell script which converts X0201 kana to X0208 kana
so that Lynx doesn't get zonked.  (Not necessary anymore?)  The only manual
part of this is editing (use "E" command) the URL to change the protocol from
"http" (or other) to "sjhttp."  I _think_ you can do the same thing by
applying the "Cern rules" which Tom mentioned yesterday or the day before.