lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev "Alert!: HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request"

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "Alert!: HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request"
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:20:02 -0500

020205 Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> I tried with various browsers & Lynx was the only that failed with
>  http://www.microsoft.com&address@hidden/1338825GHU_98.asp
> (That's the URL with the fake history re M$ acquiring Red Hat).
> Is this the right behavior ? Are all other browsers wrong ?

Lynx 2-8-5dev.6 gives `400 Bad Request':

  Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
  Client sent malformed Host header

  Apache/1.3.14 Server at www.insomniac.ch Port 80

Netscape 4.71 (IIRC) presents the document without comment.
Opera 5.0 warns as follows:

  Security warning: you are about to go to an address
  that contained a username before the servername:
  Username www.microsoft.com&item%3dq209354
  Servername 212.254.206.213
  While this may be a valid address, this kind of address has been used
  to trick people into going to fake web pages
  that pretend to be from a well-known web-site
  & whose name is used as the username.
  If you press OK, the page will be loaded as requested
  & you will not be warned again for this username until you restart Opera.
  If you press Cancel, the page will not be fetched.

just what is this page?  surely, it's not a genuine M$ offering.
if it is a fake, the Opera response seems to be best.